Ernst Heinrich Matthes - born 1883

Hi, I believe this is the birth record of Ernst Heinrich Matthes - born on 5th December 1883 (baptised on 16 Dec 1883?). His parents would appear to be Heinrich Matthes and Marie Magdalena Zelt. Can you confirm this is correct? Also any other information gratefully received, there appears to be a note added to the record in the margins. Many Thanks, Karen.

Yes, parents Heinrich Matthes Kfm. (Kaufmann = merchant) and Maria Magdalena Zelt.

I think the note says he left the church on February 5, 1937.

By the way, if you have an Ancestry account, you can find his birth certificate here:

It says he married 1922 and died in Mannheim on August 25, 1964.

Death certificate of Heinrich Matthes. Died February 1, 1886 in Mannheim at the age of 43 years, 7 months and 15 days. His parents were the priest Andreas Matthes and Katharina Elisabeth né Dietrich, living in Oppenheim.

The family register for Heinrich Matthes. Please also have a look on the following pages.

He was born in Monsheim and married in Schwetzingen.

Ancestry also lists a Ernst Friedrich Matthes born in Mannheim on the 5th July 1883 - but I think this is a mistake and it is meant to be this Ernst Heinrich Matthes. He too has parents Heinrich and Magdalena and wife Barbara. I can find no birth record for him.

Karen.

Ancestry also lists a Ernst Friedrich Matthes born in Mannheim on the 5th July 1883 - but I think this is a mistake and it is meant to be this Ernst Heinrich Matthes. He too has parents Heinrich and Magdalena and wife Barbara. I can find no birth record for him.

Karen.
It's a reading mistake. That is Ernst Heinrich. And the name of his wife was Babette Christine Rhein.

The address Mittelstr. 110 can only be found in 1910, this Friedrich Matthes was a mechanic.

Starting 1915 there is another Friedrich, a day laborer, living in Kirchenstr. 22. It seems he was born 1885 in Künzelsau and died 1937 in Mannheim.

However, you can find the addresses of Heinrich's widow Magdalena and her sons Ernst (Heinrich) and Theodor in the address books as well. It seems Ernst Heinrich was an engineer and in 1925 director of the company Elma, while Theodor is listed as a merchant. Magdalena, the widow, seems to have lived at the same address as Ernst.

Hi Eggi

This just gets more and more interesting. The day labourer Friedrich was born 14th March 1885 and is most definitely related to me. See my record below:

https://www.archion.de/p/4cc16845c0/
Marriage record for Johann Friedrich Matthes and Anna Franck on 15th June 1911 in Mannheim. Johann Friedrich, born in Kunzelsau 14 March 1885 and son of Christian Matthes and Katharina Barbara Metz (of the wine maker branch of the family).

I really need to find out whether any of these 3 men came to England for a brief stay; they would have been in Gorleston On Sea, in Norfolk in early 1912. Do you have suggestions as to how I may try to find this out? Emigration records on Ancestry are not giving me any clues.

Many Thanks, Karen.

Zurück
Oben