Looking for an ancestor from Haan

Good afternoon! I am in the USA. I've been following the path of one of my ancestors - Wilhelm Schwartz - who came from Germany in/around 1776. I know for a fact that he was a Hessian soldier who came to America in the early parts of the Revolution, was captured and released, then stayed after it was over. However, there are two Hessian soldiers with the same name that came to America around the same time. In order to prove which is my ancestor (and the one that I believe is correct), I need some proof that he was in Haan before 1776. I am fairly certain that he as born in March 1753 (using familysearch.org) since I've seen his baptism recorded on 7 March 1753. From what I understand, he married a woman named Mariah (or Maria - which I know was common in Germany then) around 1771-1772 and had a son in Germany before he came to America. His son's name was Abraham Schwartz and he was most likely born in/around Haan in 1774.

I believe his parents were Johannes Schwartz and Catherina Margaretha Krickhaus, but I have little record of them other than the baptism.

If anyone can provide assistance, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Where did you find the information, that he was from Haan? Is there a proof for that anywhere?

Do you have a link to this baptism record on Familysearch ? Haan is not in Hesse. However, it could be that he joined the Hessian troops nevertheless.

The Hetrina database (Hessian troops in America) provides two hits:

1) Johann Wilhelm Schwartz from Neuhanau (which is a part of Hanau today), no birth year available
2) Wilhelm Schwarz from Bruchköbel (also close to Hanau), born approx. 1756

Both of them joined the army in early 1777.

Where did you find the information, that he was from Haan? Is there a proof for that anywhere?

Do you have a link to this baptism record on Familysearch ? Haan is not in Hesse. However, it could be that he joined the Hessian troops nevertheless.

1) Johann Wilhelm Schwartz from Neuhanau (which is a part of Hanau today), no birth year available

I know that he was born in 1752 or 1753 based on his tax records here in the US. I have traced his journey as a member of von Knyphausen regiment. There’s also proof that he was in New York City with his wife because two of his children were born there in 1778 and 1780. Two kids were born in York, PA before 1789 where we believe he was in a prison camp there (and lived there afterward). We considered Hanau, but his military record in the Hessian regiments doesn’t suggest he’d be with the Hanau troops.

Haan is our best guess based on the baptism record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VHQ1-6Q9?cid=fs_copy

Would people from Haan be involved in the Hesse-Kassel regiments? I know it is close to that region.

Haan is our best guess based on the baptism record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VHQ1-6Q9?cid=fs_copy

Would people from Haan be involved in the Hesse-Kassel regiments? I know it is close to that region.

There is a Wilhelm Schwartz who marries Anna Catharina Dreyer from Solingen on January 1, 1789 in Haan. Could be the same person, but that would need verification. In this case it would not be the one, who stayed in America.

Although most soldiers of the Hessian army were probably born in Hesse, there are examples that young men from other parts of the Empire were recruited as well. Not uncommon.

He was married in 1771-1773. He was in the US indefinitely after the war. Died in Pennsylvania in 1825.

That is my best guess based on what I know. I know that he married in 1771-72 to a Mariah/Maria Unknown and had a son Abraham in Germany around 1774.

I know this could be a nearly impossible task, but I’m looking for some records to help me in my search.

In diesen Links taucht der Name Krieckhausen/Krickhaus in Verbindung mit Haan auf.

Obgruiten - heute Gruiten - ist ein Stadtteil von Haan.

Thank you for all of this information. I'm definitely seeing some family connections there. It does appear that there are people with the last name Schwartz in the neighboring town of Solingen. Maybe I need to look through church records there? Does anybody know the boundaries of Hesse Kassel around the time 1775?

If I were to look at the records for Neuhanau on Archion's database, what location should I look for? Hanau-Neustadt? Anything more specific?

E.g. here:

15th April 1750: Johann Leonhardt Schwartz, clothier in the Neustadt, and his wife Anna Barbara, baptize their son Johann Melchior.

E.g. here:

15th April 1750: Johann Leonhardt Schwartz, clothier in the Neustadt, and his wife Anna Barbara, baptize their son Johann Melchior.
That's great, thanks. Not being able to read German is holding me back. Like I said, Wilhelm/Wilhelmus born in 1753 is most likely. That's the information I have from here in the US.

He had a son Abraham born in 1774-1776 as well.

I just don't see him in the Hanau regiments, since they were mostly stationed in Canada. I am fairly sure that he was in the von Knyphausen regiment - mustering into New York/Long Island in 1776. What part of Hesse were these troops mostly from? That is the missing link in my research.

That's great, thanks. Not being able to read German is holding me back. Like I said, Wilhelm/Wilhelmus born in 1753 is most likely. That's the information I have from here in the US.

He had a son Abraham born in 1774-1776 as well.

I am really sorry, but there‘s no need to be able to read German.

You can for sure read names and dates.

After you identified the church register entries of interest by looking through the available images yourself, you are very welcome to ask for reading aid regarding the record details.

Needless to say in order to access the records one needs to buy a paid subscription here at Archion.

Just in case please see here for more details

Thanks.

….What part of Hesse were these troops mostly from? That is the missing link in my research.

While i.e. checking this website

you‘ll find near the bottom >> Quellen = sources << i. e. a book by Mrs. Auerbach dealing with questions like this.

That book is available at various libraries in the US as well and as far as I am not totally mistaken there are even a number of researches (including professionals with great expertise on this topic „Hessian soldies…“) or research groups in the US who already i. e. focused on questions like that.

Thanks.

As an aside only….

Zurück
Oben