Neumarkt

My grandfather Johann Hildner was born in Neumarkt in der Oberpfaltz, 25 April 1885. I have searched through the Archion records but cannot find any records of him at all, but on the Family Search web sight I find his birth in the civil records. Help please. Judy

Hi Judy, are you sure that your grandfather belonged to a Protestant parish?
The inhabitants of Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz are, up to today, mostly Roman Catholics - in the 19th century the Protestants would have been a tiny minority. Here in Archion you will find records of Protestant and some Reformed parishes. Could you help us with the link to Family Search?
And: as you can see here
the church registers of Neumarkt only start in 1857. From 1843 to 1857 you would have to look in Sulzbuerg (where there was a great number of Protestants, many more than in Neumarkt). But the Sulzbuerg registers are not yet digitized (and still seem to be "at home" in Sulzbuerg, not in the Nuremberg archive).
Susanne

Our Hildner family was all listed as Protestant. My grandfather and siblings were born in Neumarkt. I believe my great grandfather Wolfgang, from Nurnberg, was working for the railroad. He moved the family to Neumarkt for a span of ten or so years. Record of my grandfather's birth is at Family Search. It can be found by going to Search, click on images, and put in Neumarkt. Johann Hildner is listed in Neumarkt in der Oberpfaltz, address book, births, etc. 1659- 1949 there are 345 images. It is Image 202/ 345 of the 1885 Geburts Register. Birth certificate #90. I do not know where he lived in the area of Neumarkt. I would like to find the record in this Archion websight if possible. Thanks, Judy

Okay, found ... This is an index to public birth records (not church records!).
As written earlier, there have been no church records for the Protestants in Neumarkt before 1857. And the church registers of the parish of Sulzbuerg (where you would find the Neumarkt Protestants) are not (yet) available online.
I suggest writing an e-mail to the Neumarkt archive - (public!) birth records older than 110 years are kept in the archive.
Website https://stadtarchiv.neumarkt.de/ and e-mail stadtarchiv@neumarkt.de

Neumarkt was a very small town in the 1880ies, about 5.000 inhabitants - have a look at the German Wikipedia page: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neumarkt_in_der_Oberpfalz, and look for "Bevölkerung" (meaning "population"); the illustration and the table are self-explaining even if you don't read German.

As an aside: what kind of records will be made available at Archion = basically records from Protestant Church Registers prior to 1875 / 1876, however no Civil Status Records.

Background please note:
....In 1876, the Personal Statute Act was passed in Germany, introducing civil records requirements across the country. After that point, church books began losing their relevance for the government, and were (again) used only for the purposes of church administration and pastoral care of congregation members....

To be found here:

Hope that gives you ideas.
BG, Vera

Zurück
Oben