What does it mean to die a godless man?

Hello,
The 27 August 1716 death record from Wildberg, Württemberg for my ancestor's brother, Johann Jacob Dengler, appears to say that he died a godless man. The record is on the left page of the link below and just south of the middle of the page.

My attempt at a transcription is as follows:
"Starb als ein gottloser und nahm ein end mit schreibhen(??) Johann Jacob Dengler, zeugmacher und gewesener bettelvoght allhir atat 60 jahr 7 wochen begraben 29 August"
And translation:
Died as a godless man and ended his life with writing (huh?) Johann Jacob Dengler, a (woolen cloth) maker and former beggar bailiff.

Jacob served for several decades as the town's begging bailiff, and it would have been strange for the council to give him that job if he was not a churchgoer. Does 'godless' here refer to Jacob not receiving last rites before he died? Or is my transcription incorrect?

Thank you in advance for any insights!
Nancy Tengler

♃ 27 Aug[ustus] starb als ein gottloser und nahm ein end mit schreckhen Joh[ann] Jacob
Dengler, Zeugmacher und gewesener bettelvogt allhir ætat 60. j[ahr] 7. w[ochen] begraben
♄29 Aug[ustus]

[symbol for saturday] 27 August died as a godless man and came to an end with horror Johann Jacob
Dengler, Zeugmacher [maker of products from sheep wool] and former beggar bailiff buried here 60 years 7 weeks old
[symbol for saturday] 29 August

I think Johann Jacob Dengler was in his earlier years a normal member of the community and a member of the local church (as we would describe him today) and was therefore buried with all the usual rites, otherwise it would have been noted in this entry.
Obviously he wasn't an active churchgoer or a regular communicant during his last years, so the priest who buried him considered him to be an atheist, which means that Johann Jacob had partially separated himself from the church, and perhaps couldn't be sure of being admitted to paradise one day. Perhaps he hadn't asked for last rites before he died (suddenly?).
"nahm ein Ende mit Schrecken" could mean that Johann Jacob died by accident, from a painful illness, or under self-caused circumstances (e.g. not taking enough care of his health - but not by suicide!), or the pastor simply assumed that Johann Jacob died without hope of salvation for the reasons mentioned above.
Best wishes,
Michael

Dear Michael,
Thank you so much for your quick reply helping me with the transcription and providing an explanation of what this record might mean! I really appreciate it. It sounds like it was likely a very sad situation.
With gratitude,
Nancy

Zurück
Oben