Evang. Church records in Rawa Maz. before 1945 and about families

This post is about collecting/exchanging all available information about families of the Evangelical Lutheran Parish in Rawa Mazowiecka (Rawa Maz.) in Poland in order to reconstruct, as far as possible, the important family relationships from the parish registers all(?) lost in January 1945, i.e. births, marriages and deaths from 1829 to 1945. Mainly from families living in Brzozów/Birkenfeld and Osada Dolna, today it is a district of Rawa Maz., as well as from other related families and villages belonging to Rawa Maz. Lutheran Parish.

I am a Pole with some German ancestry and need the above information for genealogical purposes only. If somebody knows two, three consecutive generations of families living in these places before 1945, would you please contact me.

I am doing this reconstruction with my 2nd cousin Tymon Derk and hope some others from USA and Germany will join in. We have already collected much of this data ourselves, as we are the great-great-grandsons of Jakob Müller *1822, and Marianna Hauser *1828, both in Brzozów. They were married in 1844 in Rawa Maz Ev. Church and lived in Osada Dolna. Their ancestors came from places in B-W such as Auerbach (Müller, Öchslein, Bishoff), Aurich (Hauser), Königsbach (Föller, Kammerer, Seefried, Kisselmann), Weissach (Kilpper, Essign) and Öfingen near Bad Dürrheim (Wölfle, Manger, Heppler, Irion, Glunz).

The names of the families we are interested in who lived in Brzozów (Birkenfeld), Sadykierz, Glina, Rzeczyca and Osada Dolna before 1945 are as follows:

Hauser; Welfle (or Wölfle); Roswag; Jetter; Pfau; Pfeifer; Rosner; Besler; Malin; Bandel; Schmidt; Lenc (or Lentz); Lange (or Lang); Wacker: Majer; Link; Scheuermann; Schlick; Trautz; Matern; Blechle; Bloch; Ruder; Roll; Müller; Weiss and Glitzner (or Glicner). The last one were Catholics, as the first one who came to Birkenfeld was Nicolas Glitzner * 1803 in Weinberg near Ansbach.

From Brzozów, the four Glitzners and one Lange were the only families not to be stripped of their citizenship, public rights and property under the harsh post-war regulations for the German minority, and so were not forced to leave Poland.

Thanks in advance for any contact or source, and please remember that with each passing generation the memory of our ancestors fades. It is worth preserving these memories for posterity.

Greetings and best wishes.

Romuald Miller, romek@pro.onet.pl

In my next posts I will continue to ask more detailed questions about specific families and their branches that are still puzzling us.

Oder meinten Sie:

Brzozów [ˈbʒɔzuf] (German: Birkenfeld or Birkenfelde) is a village that was founded in 1802 as a Prussian colony and today belongs to the commune of Rzeczyca in the Tomaszów County, Łódź Voivodeship, in Poland.

750px-KDR100-076-Nordenburg-ca1893-Nordenburg.jpg

Hello there,
Sorry, but not the village of the same name.
My GPS for Brzozów is 51.62974120738593, 20.259876741619898, it is about 20 km south of Rawa Mazowiecka and about 100 km south-west of Warsaw. Now it is within łódzkie voivodship. It was founded as BIRKENFELD, which means Brzozów in Polish, in the years 1802/1803 by German newcomers mainly from B-W. This was private land belonging to the King of Prussia and the area was called South Prussia. The new farmers were given 15-30 hectares of birch forest to clear. For more details please use the search engine in the link:
for example:
Query is: Birkenfeld
Category is: Prussia-Poland
and click on Search, please.
I hope my answer was good enough.

I have to correct myself here:
So,we have to look again to see if the map shows the "correct" Birkenfeld. According to the index, it is Birkenfeld, Gerdaunen district in East Prussia.

So not Birkenfeld near Lodz. I can't find Birkenfeld (German) near Lodz on a current map either. The town of Rawa Mazowiecka is shown.https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?language=pl&pagename=Rawa_Mazowiecka&params=51.766666666667_N_20.25_E_type:town orIt may be that the town was incorporated. But I don't think we've found the right place yet.This town is not known in West Prussia.Attached is a link to Protestant church records from 1834.chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.mittelpolen.de/images/tabellen/PDF_Datei/Alegata/AlegataRawa.pdf

Hier muss ich mich korrigieren:
Also,
hier müssen wir nochmal richtig schauen, ob die Karte das "richtige" birkenfeld zeigt. Laut Index ist es Birkenfeld, Kreis Gerdaunen in Ostpreußen. Also nicht das Birkenfeld bei Lodz. Auf einer aktuellen Karte kann ich auch kein Birkenfeld (dt) bei Lodz finden. Die Ortschaft Rawa Mazowiecka ist angezeigt.

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/g...wiecka¶ms=51.766666666667_N_20.25_E_type:town oder

Es kann sein, dass der Ort eingemeindet wurde. Ich glaube aber, dass wir den richtigen Ort noch nicht gefunden haben.
In Westpreußen ist dieser Ort nicht bekannt.

Anbei ein Link zu evangelischen Kirchenakten ab 1834.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.mittelpolen.de/images/tabellen/PDF_Dateien/Alegata/AlegataRawa.pdf

I have to correct myself here:
(...)

Anbei ein Link zu evangelischen Kirchenakten ab 1834.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.mittelpolen.de/images/tabellen/PDF_Dateien/Alegata/AlegataRawa.pdf
Sorry, but cannot open the links given in your post. In one link text, understand it is leading to Rawa Maz ev. Church alegata. This is the place of my interest.

These alegata are known to me and explored.

One can see alegata scans in the link:

And these alegata are partly indexed and can be searched by family name, link:

Brzozów [ˈbʒɔzuf] (German Birkenfeld or Birkenfelde) is a village that was founded in 1802 as a Prussian colony and today belongs to the municipality of Rzeczyca in the Tomaszów district, which is located in the Łódź Voivodeship in Poland.Now I have found the right Birkenfeld. See map, on the right edge and still outside the settlement area.

Here is the map link:
See map, on the far right edge, outside the settlement area. Map under Brzozow.

Brzozów [ˈbʒɔzuf] (deutsch Birkenfeld oder auch Birkenfelde) ist ein Dorf, das 1802 als preußische Kolonie gegründet wurde und heute zur Gemeinde Rzeczyca im Landkreis Tomaszów gehört, die in der Woiwodschaft Łódź in Polen liegt.

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brzozów_(Rzeczyca)#:~:text=Brzozów%20%5Bˈbʒɔzuf%5D%20(deutsch%20Birkenfeld,Woiwodschaft%20Łódź%20in%20Polen%20liegt.

Here is a link to the colony list. However, I believe that the families we are looking for are not listed here yet, as the town of Birkenfeld was still outside the settlement area.

odessa3.org/collections/census/link/geser.txt

Hier noch ein Link zur Kolonieliste. Ich glaube aber, dass die gesuchten Familien hier noch nicht aufgeführt sind, da der Ort Birkenfeld noch ausserhalb des Siedlungsgebiets lag.

Here is a link to the colony list. However, I believe that the families we are looking for are not listed here yet, (....)

odessa3.org/collections/census/link/geser.txt
(...)
in above link. In seite 344, point 26 there is the list of Birkenfeld first settlers

Later many emigrated to Russia, Besarabia or within the Brzozów area, others married in Brzozów or just settled there.

Now the names of the families I am interested are ones who lived in Brzozów, Sadykierz, Glina, Rzeczyca and Osada Dolna before 1945 and are mentioned in my 1st entry as:

Hauser; Welfle (or Wölfle); Roswag; Jetter; Pfau; Pfeifer; Rosner; Besler; Malin; Bandel; Schmidt; Lenc (or Lentz); Lange (or Lang); Wacker: Majer; Link; Scheuermann; Schlick; Trautz; Matern; Blechle; Bloch; Ruder; Roll; Müller; Weiss and Glitzner (or Glicner). The latter were Catholics, as the first to come to Birkenfeld was Nicolas Glitzner * 1803 in Weinberg near Ansbach.

I hope to be able to contact the descendants of the above families, who are now scattered all over the world, and to obtain information about their known ancestors.

This post is about collecting/exchanging all available information about families of the Evangelical Lutheran Parish in Rawa Mazowiecka (Rawa Maz.) in Poland in order to reconstruct, as far as possible, the important family relationships from the parish registers all(?) lost in January 1945, i.e. births, marriages and deaths from 1829 to 1945. (...)
In my next posts I will continue to ask more detailed questions about specific families and their branches that are still puzzling us.
As I mentioned in my 1st post, the Family Church Records (FCR) of the Evangelical Parish of Rawa Maz disappeared in January 1945. There were 2 sets of them.

I spoke to the son of the last pastor, Hammermeister, and perhaps his father wanted to evacuate the FCR, but when he retreated with the Wehrmacht he was captured by the Russians. Pastor returned to Germany in 1948, but without the FCR. Perhaps they are forgotten in one of the hundreds of archives in the former USSR? What happened to the second set, which should be in the local Peace Court?

QUESTION:

Does anyone know anything more, even rumours, about these church records from Rawa Mazowiecka?

Romuald Miller

All below mentioned persons were born in Brzozów/Birkenfeld and belonged to Evang Church in Rawa Mazowiecka then under Russian rule in partitioned Poland

Ferdinand Hauser *24-01-1866 married to Julianna Woelfle *10-10-1874.
Known to me their children
Johann *24-10-1894; Aniela 26-21-1896; Reinhold 22-11-1913; Emilia *09-10-1906; Alexander ?

Question:

Does anybody know Ferdinand and Julianna parents?

Do not need more information about their children except for Alexander

Thank you for your attention, Romuald Miller

Romuald Miller

It is certainly this place here:

Ask your specific questions, then one or the other user here can also help you.

Regards Ursula
Thank you Ursula for your help

A. Indeed it is the place I am interested in

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I am mainly interested in reconstructing the family connections of the German minority living in Brzozowo, Osada Dolna near Rawa and belonging to the Evangelical parish in Rawa Mazowiecka. Those family connections that were recorded in the vital records (births, marriages and deaths) Unfortunately, I cannot find a trace of them anywhere. Probably some of them have been destroyed, and guess, others may be in some of the archives of the former USSR?

I have a lot of families, 2-3 generations, which I can't connect with others.

I have researched many Polish and German sources and am stuck with further progress, e.g.

1. My Heritage search engine

2. Family Search list of population of German origin made in 1940 link:

There are many film reels here, but I have Brzozów and the surrounding area checked page for page

3. http://odessa3.org/

4. https://galiziengermandescendants.org/cms/index.php/en/

5. https://www.mittelpolen.de/

6. http://www.reiner-kerp.de/

7. http://www.upstreamvistula.org/Publ...=1053&searchstring=&todisp=&from_rec=&to_rec=

8. https://gsta.preussischer-kulturbes...ise/hinweise-in-anderen-sprachen/english.html

9. https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/inde..._lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

For those interested I can also provide a link to scans up to 1940

and some more.

Well I am not professional historian so may be I missed something or could not find it

So now I am mainly looking for descendants of people from the Evangelical parish in Rawa Maz. It is very difficult to get in touch with them, especially those living in Germany. The reason is my guess.

From the facts I know, the Germans who committed some crimes during the occupation usually fled in 1945, while those who did nothing wrong except signing the Volksliste stayed. And on them fell all the fury of retaliation not only of the administration, but also of the Polish civilian population for 5 years of humiliation and persecution. In the war and after collective responsibility took place. I suppose that these people/families are traumatised and deeply hurt by the fact that they were expelled from Poland at that time, deprived of their property, often persecuted by the Poles in a brutal way, imprisoned, starved, they and their children died, some were even murdered - such are the facts. Now that Poland has regained its dignity and improved its material well-being for 35 years, the first scholarly publications on this difficult and rather embarrassing subject for Poles have begun to appear. It was a war of civilians against civilians. I will write a separate post on this topic in September his year

B. However, I have a question about the Evangelical cemetery in Brzozów/Birkenfeld now closed

At the end of the link content this cemetery is mentioned

In this cemetery there is a memorial to German soldiers killed during WW1. There were numerous battles with Russian troops in this area.

QUESTION
:

Does anyone know in which battle these soldiers fell? Date, place, how many are buried? Maybe the military unit and names of the fallen are known?

Maybe shall ask elsewhere on this or other forums where people follow military stories

Thank you in advance for your interest and best regards

Romuald Miller

Hello again,

During World War I (1914-1918), Brzozów, a town in present-day Poland, was the scene of several military operations. The region was part of the Eastern Front, where the Central Powers (Germany and Austria-Hungary) fought against the Russian Empire.In 1915, significant fighting took place near Brzozów when the Central Powers launched an offensive to push back Russian troops1. These operations were part of the larger Gorlice-Tarnów Offensive, which was successful and resulted in a significant retreat of the Russian army.

Während des Ersten Weltkriegs (1914-1918) war Brzozów, eine Stadt im heutigen Polen, Schauplatz mehrerer militärischer Operationen. Die Region war Teil der Ostfront, wo die Mittelmächte (Deutschland und Österreich-Ungarn) gegen das Russische Reich kämpften.
Im Jahr 1915 fanden in der Nähe von Brzozów bedeutende Kämpfe statt, als die Mittelmächte eine Offensive starteten, um die russischen Truppen zurückzudrängen1. Diese Operationen waren Teil der größeren Gorlice-Tarnów-Offensive, die erfolgreich war und zu einem bedeutenden Rückzug der russischen Armee führte.

Hello Romuald.

Since you are looking for descendants of former Polish citizens of German ethics, I recommend that you send your questions to

to put. There is also a sub-forum for military questions.

However, it will of course be very difficult to find survivors. The youngest are already 80 years old. And the older ones will no longer be among the living.

And then of course there is the forum of

Here, too, there are many users who have a wealth of knowledge.

Before you write a report in September, you should study this topic in detail.

Not all Germans who fled in 1945 committed crimes in Poland.

Between 1945 and 1949, there were above all forced resettlements that were initiated by Poland.

And let's not forget that between 1945 and 1950 around 35,000 Germans were imprisoned in the Potulice labor camp.

And then there are the millions of people who have died while fleeing.

I wish you every success.

Regards Ursula

Hello Ursula
1. Thank you for recommending and linking to

Will no doubt explore it

2. I am not only looking for survivors but also their children and grandchildren who might be interested in genealogy. I have contacted some of them, even my distant cousins, but too many have not replied. People who were forced to leave Poland mostly settled in the area of Hannover - Billefeld, Goerlitz and Gustrow (south of Rostock), many fled to the USA and Canada.

3. Genealodzy.pl - I am present there and ok., with little hope will ask about WW1 German soldiers buried in Brzozów cemetery.

4. >>Before you write a report in September, you should study this topic in detail…<<
I am going to write a piece, something like a picture of place and time, rather than an in-depth report, and only about the post-war fate of some German minorities already living in Poland in 1939. Not about Germans who fled from former German territories. I am aware of the atrocities committed against the German population after the war. I am far from judging anyone.
As a young communist soldier I was trained in the beach landing party to liberate Denmark from the oppression of capitalism. At that time I sincerely believed in it and was ready to risk my own life to do this favour to the Danish people. It sounds funny now, but only because nobody was hurt, but it was pure luck beyond my control. Obviously, many young Germans did not have this comfort and luck a little earlier.

Yours sincerely, R. Miller

Hello Romuald.

I don't know whether there are people buried in the military cemetery who lived there or who died in the war, who came from other regions. Because in the spring of 1915 many ethnic Germans were deported from, what is now Poland, to Russia and they only returned to their homeland at the beginning of 1918, sometimes much later. But some families also stayed in Russia.
I have always heard that this was an area about 150 km from the Russian border. But I also know that inhabitants from the towns of Wiskitki and Żyrardów were affected.
However, there are lists of the fallen and missing from the First World War. If you know which people are buried in the cemetery in Rawa Mazowiecka, you may be able to find out more from the lists. Here is a link:

https://wiki.genealogy.net/Verlustlisten_Erster_Weltkrieg/Projekt

I can only agree with you. There were still survivors from my ancestral region who met up every two years, even after 65 years of flight from Poland. But of all those present, there were no children or grandchildren who were interested in the lives of their ancestors. However, I did find people who replied to letters or emails. I received a lot of information and even photos and certificates. But they had no interest in the history of their ancestors.
Have you ever tried

https://www.ancestry.com

or

https://sggee.org/

Yes, the Danes did not have a good relationship with Germany after the end of the war. First they had to defend themselves against the fascists and then they were forced to take in Germans who had fled or been expelled from Poland. The family of one of my father's cousins (mother and 3 children) were accommodated in a camp in Denmark. The children suffered a lot, not only during the flight, but also after the flight was over. But of course you also have to show understanding for Denmark.

I would like to close this topic here for me.

Regards
Ursula

Zurück
Oben